Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century 6
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century 6
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk 6
- School integration--Massive resistance movement 6
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 5
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 5
- Race relations--History--20th century 3
- African Americans--Civil rights 2
- African Americans--Segregation 2
- Busing for school integration--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka 1
- Busing for school integration--United States 1
- Discrimination against African Americans 1
- Gray Commission (Va.) 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Physicians--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- School integration--Law and legislation--United States--Cases 1
- School integration--United States 1
- Virginia--Politics and government 1 ∧ less
- Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) 3
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Boswell, Archie L. 1
- Mason, Vivian Carter (1900-1982) 1
- Norfolk Committee for Public Schools (Va.) 1
- Norfolk Public Schools (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Powell, Adam Clayton (1908-1972) 1
- Stolee, Michael J. (1930-2007) 1
- University of Miami. School of Education. Florida School Desegregation Center 1
- White, Forest R. (1947-) 1
- White, Forrest P. (1920-1995) 1
- Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Yaco, Sonia (1957-) 1 ∧ less
Norfolk attorney. Represented the plaintiffs in the two cases initiated to reopen the Norfolk public schools closed to avoid integration, James v. Duckworth and James v. Almond. Includes correspondence, legal materials, notes, and background material.
Founding member of the Women’s Council for Interracial Cooperation and an active participant in the Civil Rights movement. Contains transcripts and audiotapes of an interview that documents her life and the Civil Rights movement in Norfolk.
The collection contains material related to Stolee’s work as an expert witness in 68 school desegregation cases in the US including Norfolk. Stolle helped to design Norfolk 1971 school busing plan.The material includes the court proceedings, testimony, newspaper clippings, photographs, invoices and correspondence as well as his narrative of some of the cases.
Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.