Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
- Businessmen--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Hampton Roads (Va.)--History--20th century 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Legislators--Virginia--Hampton Roads 1
- Mayors--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Yiddish 1
- Banks, Benjamin A. (1884-1974) 1
- Virginia. General Assembly 1
- Virginia. General Assembly. House of Delegates 1
- Wood, Joseph Downing (1867-1959) 1
Lawyer and prominent member of the Norfolk Jewish community. Served on the Norfolk Board of Aldermen (1908-1911) and in the Virginia House of Delegates (1911-1913). Active in local, state and national politics. Includes personal and political correspondence, scrapbooks, letters to the editor, and photographs.
President of the Wood Towing Company (Tugboats). Served on the Norfolk City Council (1926-1930, 1934-1944) and as Mayor (1940-1944) during World War II. Collection contains business papers, mayoral files, correspondence and the papers of his service on the Elizabeth River Tunnel Commission.