Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
- Topic: Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century X
- Topic: Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century X
- Topic: School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century X
- Topic: Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk X
- Topic: African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk X
- People/Organizations: Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) X
Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.