Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
- Community Collections 10
- University Archives 1
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century 10
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk 8
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 8
- Segregation in education--Virginia--Norfolk 7
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 5
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 4
- African Americans--Civil rights 3
- Race relations--History--20th century 3
- Virginia--Politics and government 3
- African Americans--Segregation 2
- Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka 1
- Busing for school integration--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Isle of Wight County (Va.) 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Newport News 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Virginia Beach 1
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Discrimination against African Americans 1
- Gray Commission (Va.) 1
- Hampton Roads (Va.)--History--20th century 1
- Housing--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Lost class of '59 1
- Mayors--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Physicians--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Racism--Prevention 1
- Teachers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Virginia--Politics and government--1865-1950 1
- Women--Virginia--Social conditions 1 ∧ less
- Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) 3
- Mason, Vivian Carter (1900-1982) 2
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation (Norfolk, Va.) 2
- Abbott, Carl (1944-) 1
- Boswell, Archie L. 1
- CBS Television Network 1
- Duckworth, W. Fred (1899-1972) 1
- Human Relations Council (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- MacArthur Memorial 1
- MacArthur, Douglas 1
- Norfolk Bicentennial Commission 1
- Norfolk Committee for Public Schools (Va.) 1
- Norfolk Public Schools (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Powell, Adam Clayton (1908-1972) 1
- Schweitzer, Paul T. (1903-1976) 1
- Stanley, Thomas B. (Thomas Bahnson) (1890-1970) 1
- White, Forest R. (1947-) 1
- White, Forrest P. (1920-1995) 1
- White, Margaret E. (1908-1995) 1
- Yaco, Sonia (1957-) 1 ∧ less
Carl Abbott Papers
Small collection focusing on materials used by Carl Abbott who taught history at Old Dominion University from 1972 to 1978.
Archie L. Boswell Papers
Norfolk attorney. Represented the plaintiffs in the two cases initiated to reopen the Norfolk public schools closed to avoid integration, James v. Duckworth and James v. Almond. Includes correspondence, legal materials, notes, and background material.
W. Fred Duckworth Papers
Mayor of Norfolk (1950-1962). Collection consists of memorabilia, photographs, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and artifacts relating to his political, business and civic activities.
Vivian Carter Mason Interviews
Founding member of the Women’s Council for Interracial Cooperation and an active participant in the Civil Rights movement. Contains transcripts and audiotapes of an interview that documents her life and the Civil Rights movement in Norfolk.
Massive Resistance Collection
Norfolk Public Schools Desegregation Collection
Paul T. Schweitzer Papers
Norfolk businessman and member of the Norfolk School Board (1952-1960) and City Council (1960-1968) during the Massive Resistance crisis. Includes correspondence, legal documents, newspapers clippings, scrapbooks and photographs that primarily document his activities during Norfolk’s desegregation crisis.
Forrest P. White Papers
Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Forrest R. "Hap" White Papers
Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.
Margaret White Papers
Margaret White taught in the Norfolk school system off and on since 1930. Involved in struggle to reopen the public schools during the integration crisis. CBS television documentary, "The Lost Class of ’59" recorded her efforts. Correspondence and printed material, the bulk of which dates from 1959-1964, chiefly relates to the CBS documentary. Member of the Norfolk Committee for Public Schools.
Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation Records
Founded in 1945 as an interracial organization designed to address concerns with education, health, and housing among the Afro-American community in Norfolk. Predecessor to the Norfolk Human Relations Council. Includes correspondence, newspapers clippings, minutes, reports, pamphlets, and membership lists. Bulk of the organization’s records are in the archives at Norfolk State University.