Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
- Community Collections 6
- University Archives 1
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk 6
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 5
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 5
- African Americans--Civil rights 2
- African Americans--Segregation 2
- Race relations--History--20th century 2
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka 1
- Busing for school integration--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Isle of Wight County (Va.) 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Newport News 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Virginia Beach 1
- Discrimination against African Americans 1
- Gray Commission (Va.) 1
- Housing--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Physicians--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Virginia--Politics and government 1 ∧ less
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) 2
- Abbott, Carl (1944-) 1
- Boswell, Archie L. 1
- Mason, Vivian Carter (1900-1982) 1
- Norfolk Committee for Public Schools (Va.) 1
- Norfolk Public Schools (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Powell, Adam Clayton (1908-1972) 1
- White, Forest R. (1947-) 1
- White, Forrest P. (1920-1995) 1
- Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Yaco, Sonia (1957-) 1 ∧ less
Small collection focusing on materials used by Carl Abbott who taught history at Old Dominion University from 1972 to 1978.
Norfolk attorney. Represented the plaintiffs in the two cases initiated to reopen the Norfolk public schools closed to avoid integration, James v. Duckworth and James v. Almond. Includes correspondence, legal materials, notes, and background material.
Founding member of the Women’s Council for Interracial Cooperation and an active participant in the Civil Rights movement. Contains transcripts and audiotapes of an interview that documents her life and the Civil Rights movement in Norfolk.
Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.