Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
- Virginia--Politics and government 11
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century 5
- Virginia--Politics and government--1865-1950 5
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 4
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- School integration--Massive resistance movement 3
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 3
- Hampton Roads (Va.)--History--20th century 2
- Legislators--Virginia--Hampton Roads 2
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- African Americans--Civil rights 1
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Automobile dealers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Businessmen--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- City treasurers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Journalists--United States 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Ledger-star 1
- Lost class of '59 1
- Mayors--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Old Dominion University--Faculty 1
- Power and Influence in a Colonial City 1
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- Race relations--History--20th century 1
- Racism--Prevention 1
- Real estate agents--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Segregation in education--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Teachers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Women legislators--Virginia 1
- Women--Suffrage--United States 1
- Women--Virginia--Social conditions 1
- audiovisual materials 1 ∧ less
- Yiddish 1
- Virginia. General Assembly 4
- Virginia. General Assembly. House of Delegates 4
- Assembly on the Dimensions of Hunger and Malnutrition 1
- Banks, Benjamin A. (1884-1974) 1
- CBS Television Network 1
- First Presbyterian Church of Norfolk (Va.) 1
- Fitzpatrick, Joseph Thomas (1929-2006) 1
- Freedom Automotive (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Harrison, Edythe C. (1934-) 1
- Haugh, James Bertram 1
- Human Relations Council (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald) (1917-1963) 1
- League of Women Voters (U.S.) 1
- League of Women Voters of Hampton Roads 1
- League of Women Voters of Virginia 1
- Mason, Vivian Carter (1900-1982) 1
- Miller, Paula J. (1959-) 1
- Norfolk Bicentennial Commission 1
- Old Dominion University. Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice 1
- Phillips Automotive Inc. 1
- Phillips, George Conoly (1931-2020) 1
- Reilly, Thomas Joseph (1915-1976) 1
- Roberts, James W. (1891-1977) 1
- Robertson, Pat (1930-) 1
- Virginia Opera Association 1
- White, Margaret E. (1908-1995) 1
- Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Wood, Joseph Downing (1867-1959) 1
- Yaco, Sonia (1957-) 1 ∧ less
Benjamin A. Banks Papers
Lawyer and prominent member of the Norfolk Jewish community. Served on the Norfolk Board of Aldermen (1908-1911) and in the Virginia House of Delegates (1911-1913). Active in local, state and national politics. Includes personal and political correspondence, scrapbooks, letters to the editor, and photographs.
Joseph T. Fitzpatrick Papers
This collection consists of political documents, correspondence, clippings, artifacts, and other items pertaining to the career of Joseph T. Fitzpatrick.
Edythe C. Harrison Papers
Member of the Virginia House of Delegates (1979-1982), founder and president of the Virginia Opera Association, and unsuccessful candidate for United States Senator in 1984 against incumbent Republican, Senator John Warner. The first woman in Virginia nominated by the Democratic Party for statewide office. Collection primarily relates to her activities in politics and the 1984 Senatorial campaign.
James Bertram Haugh Papers
Old Dominion University Sociology Professor. Received his Ph.D. from the University of Akron in 1978. Author of the book, "Power and Influence in a Southern City." Based on his doctoral thesis, the book explores the power structure of a "Colonial City", which is actually the city of Norfolk, Virginia. The collection relates mainly to his thesis. It includes rough drafts, notes, tapes and transcripts of interviews with prominent Norfolk figures in 1978.
League of Women Voters of Hampton Roads Records
Includes handbooks, correspondence, newsletters, agendas, minutes, membership lists, and financial records of the League of Women Voters of Hampton Roads. Contains information on the action program, education fund, speakers bureau, voters service, and studies on various issues.
Massive Resistance Collection
Paula J. Miller Papers
The Collection of Paula J. Miller consists of documents relating to Miller’s time in office of the Virginia House of Delegates from election in 2005 through 2012.
George Conoly Phillips Papers
Norfolk City Council member. Served as President of the United Drug Abuse Council and was active in the Inter-Christian Fellowship, the Christian Broadcasting Network, and the United Community Fund. Documents his activities in politics, business and civic affairs.
Thomas Joseph Reilly Papers
Political correspondent for the Norfolk Ledger-Star and Norfolk Ledger-Dispatch for 26 years. Primarily newspaper columns from the Ledger-Star and background material used to research articles.
Colonel James W. Roberts Papers
President and chairman of Henry B. Gilprin, a wholesale drug firm. Served in the General Assembly from 1948-1968, holding a powerful position on the Appropriations Committee. Served on the Norfolk Planning Commission. The bulk of the collection contains legislative correspondence from 1963-1964.
Margaret White Papers
Margaret White taught in the Norfolk school system off and on since 1930. Involved in struggle to reopen the public schools during the integration crisis. CBS television documentary, "The Lost Class of ’59" recorded her efforts. Correspondence and printed material, the bulk of which dates from 1959-1964, chiefly relates to the CBS documentary. Member of the Norfolk Committee for Public Schools.
Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation Records
Founded in 1945 as an interracial organization designed to address concerns with education, health, and housing among the Afro-American community in Norfolk. Predecessor to the Norfolk Human Relations Council. Includes correspondence, newspapers clippings, minutes, reports, pamphlets, and membership lists. Bulk of the organization’s records are in the archives at Norfolk State University.
Joseph D. Wood Papers
President of the Wood Towing Company (Tugboats). Served on the Norfolk City Council (1926-1930, 1934-1944) and as Mayor (1940-1944) during World War II. Collection contains business papers, mayoral files, correspondence and the papers of his service on the Elizabeth River Tunnel Commission.