Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
- Community Collections 6
- University Archives 1
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk 6
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 5
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 5
- African Americans--Civil rights 2
- African Americans--Segregation 2
- Race relations--History--20th century 2
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka 1
- Busing for school integration--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Isle of Wight County (Va.) 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Newport News 1
- City Planning--Virginia--Virginia Beach 1
- Discrimination against African Americans 1
- Gray Commission (Va.) 1
- Housing--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Physicians--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Virginia--Politics and government 1 ∧ less
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) 2
- Abbott, Carl 1
- Boswell, Archie L. 1
- Mason, Vivian Carter 1
- Norfolk Committee for Public Schools (Va.) 1
- Norfolk Public Schools (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Powell, Adam Clayton 1
- White, Forest R. 1
- White, Forrest P. 1
- Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Yaco, Sonia 1 ∧ less
Collection ID: RG 17-5B7
Abstract Small collection focusing on materials used by Carl Abbott who taught history at Old Dominion University from 1972 to 1978.
Dates: 1958-1977, undated; Other: Date acquired: 03/10/2012
Found in: University Archives
Collection ID: MG 59
Abstract Norfolk attorney. Represented the plaintiffs in the two cases initiated to reopen the Norfolk public schools closed to avoid integration, James v. Duckworth and James v. Almond. Includes correspondence, legal materials, notes, and background material.
Dates: circa 1958-1961; Other: Date acquired: 08/07/1990
Collection ID: MG 53
Abstract Founding member of the Women’s Council for Interracial Cooperation and an active participant in the Civil Rights movement. Contains transcripts and audiotapes of an interview that documents her life and the Civil Rights movement in Norfolk.
Dates: 1978; Other: Date acquired: 07/19/1982
Collection ID: MG 98
Scope and Contents The collection consists of copies of regional and national newspaper clippings covering the “Massive Resistance” movement and public reaction to the desegregation and subsequent closing of some of Norfolk’s public schools. Also discussed are state and local politicians such as Governor Lindsay Almond, Jr., who ordered the closing the Norfolk schools that enrolled African American students, and Mayor William Fred Duckworth, who opposed the desegregation of the public schools. Some of the...
Dates: circa 1954-1960
Collection ID: MG 92
Abstract This collection dating from 1922-2008, contains correspondence, memorandum, depositions, court orders, recollections, statistical testing data, printed material, artifacts, and maps.The bulk of the collection provides a glimpse into the decisions made by the School Board through court documentation and the public sentiment during the integration process in Norfolk. While most of the collection deals with desegregation, it also includes school directories and calendars before and after...
Dates: circa 1922-2008, undated; Other: Date acquired: 12/14/2007
Collection ID: MG 5
Abstract Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Dates: circa 1950-1961, undated; Other: Date acquired: 04/15/1976
Collection ID: MG 96
Abstract Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.
Dates: 1974-1991, undated; Other: Date acquired: 09/11/2007