Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
- People/Organizations: Mason, Vivian Carter (1900-1982) X
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- African Americans--Segregation 1
- Discrimination against African Americans 1
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Racism--Prevention 1
- Segregation in education--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Virginia--Politics and government 1
- Virginia--Politics and government--1865-1950 1
- Women--Virginia--Social conditions 1 ∧ less
- Human Relations Council (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- Powell, Adam Clayton (1908-1972) 1
Founding member of the Women’s Council for Interracial Cooperation and an active participant in the Civil Rights movement. Contains transcripts and audiotapes of an interview that documents her life and the Civil Rights movement in Norfolk.
Founded in 1945 as an interracial organization designed to address concerns with education, health, and housing among the Afro-American community in Norfolk. Predecessor to the Norfolk Human Relations Council. Includes correspondence, newspapers clippings, minutes, reports, pamphlets, and membership lists. Bulk of the organization’s records are in the archives at Norfolk State University.