Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
- People/Organizations: Virginia. General Assembly X
- Virginia--Politics and government 12
- Legislators--Virginia--Hampton Roads 5
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century 4
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- Hampton Roads (Va.)--History--20th century 3
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- Virginia--Politics and government--1865-1950 3
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Equal rights amendments--United States 2
- School integration--Massive resistance movement 2
- Busing for school integration--Virginia 1
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Virginia Beach 1
- Democratic Party (Va.) 1
- Governors--Election--History--20th century 1
- Journalists--United States 1
- Judges--Virginia 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953--Veterans 1
- Ledger-star 1
- Norview High School (Norfolk, Va.)--Sports 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- United States--Politics and government--20th century 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute--Sports 1
- Virginia--Lieutenant-governors 1
- Women legislators--Virginia 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans 1 ∧ less
- Yiddish 1
- Virginia. General Assembly. House of Delegates 9
- Virginia. General Assembly. Senate 4
- Howell, Henry E. (Henry Evans) 2
- Babalas, Peter K. 1
- Banks, Benjamin A. 1
- Carter, Jimmy 1
- Cooke, John Warren 1
- Dalton, John N. 1
- Eastern Virginia Medical School 1
- Ford, Gerald R. 1
- Harrison, Edythe C. 1
- Hayakawa, S. I. (Samuel Ichiyé) 1
- Howell, Elizabeth McCarty 1
- McCurdy, Dennis L. 1
- McNamara, Thomas R. 1
- Middleton, Beverly Randolph 1
- Miller, Andrew P. (Andrew Pickens) 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous) 1
- Phillips, George Conoly 1
- Reagan, Ronald 1
- Reilly, Thomas Joseph 1
- Robb, Charles S. 1
- Roberts, James W. 1
- Robertson, Pat 1
- State Water Control Board (Va.) 1
- Stephens, Allie Edward Stokes 1
- Virginia Municipal League 1
- Virginia Opera Association 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets 1
- Virginia Port Authority 1
- Virginia. State Crime Commission 1
- Walker, Stanley Clay 1
- White, J. Warren, Jr. 1
- Whitehurst, G. William 1 ∧ less
Collection ID: MG 17
Abstract Represented the 5th District in the Virginia State Senate from 1967-1987. Collection primarily relates to his service in the State Senate from 1972-1979.
Dates: 1943-1979, undated; Other: Date acquired: 04/25/1977
Collection ID: MG 6
Abstract Lawyer and prominent member of the Norfolk Jewish community. Served on the Norfolk Board of Aldermen (1908-1911) and in the Virginia House of Delegates (1911-1913). Active in local, state and national politics. Includes personal and political correspondence, scrapbooks, letters to the editor, and photographs.
Dates: 1855-1974; Other: Date acquired: 05/18/1976
Collection ID: MG 60
Abstract Member of the Virginia House of Delegates (1979-1982), founder and president of the Virginia Opera Association, and unsuccessful candidate for United States Senator in 1984 against incumbent Republican, Senator John Warner. The first woman in Virginia nominated by the Democratic Party for statewide office. Collection primarily relates to her activities in politics and the 1984 Senatorial campaign.
Dates: 1961-1994, undated; Other: Date acquired: 09/01/1994
Collection ID: MG 1
Abstract Henry Evans Howell, Jr. served in the General Assembly and as Lieutenant Governor (1971-1973). Unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Virginia three times (1969, 1973,1977). Bulk of the collection deals with his career in politics, first in Norfolk and, after 1968, on the statewide level. Documents Democratic Party affairs from 1948 through 1977. Also includes promotional audio and video clips created as part of Howell's campaigns for the Virginia governorship in 1969, 1973 and 1977. Included...
Dates: circa 1928-1999, undated; Majority of material found within 1960-1978; Other: Date acquired: 11/04/1974
Collection ID: MG 42
Abstract Dennis McCurdy was a radio news broadcaster for WPMH News and Public Affairs. Contains reel to reel audiotapes of interviews, speeches, and events regarding politics.
Dates: 1977-1979, undated; Other: Date acquired: 11/12/1979
Collection ID: MG 4
Abstract Served in the Virginia General Assembly as a member of the House of Delegates (1968-1971) and the Senate (1972-1976). Consists of records of his service in the General Assembly, 1968-1976, including publications of state agencies and correspondence as member of the State Water Control Board.
Dates: 1961-1976, undated; Other: Date acquired: 01/00/1976
Collection ID: MG 64
Abstract Engineer and Virginia State Delegate. Served three terms in the Virginia House of Delegates. Most of the collection pertains to his political career. Also included is material related to his days as a student athlete at Norview High School and VPI.
Dates: circa 1938-1984, undated; Other: Date acquired: 11/18/1998
Collection ID: MG 8
Abstract Political correspondent for the Norfolk Ledger-Star and Norfolk Ledger-Dispatch for 26 years. Primarily newspaper columns from the Ledger-Star and background material used to research articles.
Dates: 1924-1976, undated; Other: Date acquired: 05/27/1976
Collection ID: MG 2
Abstract President and chairman of Henry B. Gilprin, a wholesale drug firm. Served in the General Assembly from 1948-1968, holding a powerful position on the Appropriations Committee. Served on the Norfolk Planning Commission. The bulk of the collection contains legislative correspondence from 1963-1964.
Dates: 1906, 1944-1964, undated; Other: Date acquired: 08/21/1975
Collection ID: MG 19
Abstract Served in both the House of Delegates (1929-1941) and the State Senate (1941-1952), and as Lieutenant Governor (1952-1961). Ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic nomination for Governor in 1961 against Albertis Harrison. Centers around this unsuccessful campaign and contains papers focusing on the issue of Massive Resistance to integration, dating to the early 1950s.
Dates: 1949-1961, undated; Other: Date acquired: 05/20/1977
Collection ID: MG 56
Abstract A collection containing 78 ¾ inch videotapes dating from January 13 to March 13, 1982, of the House of Delegates in session.
Dates: 1982; Other: Date acquired: 03/08/1984
Collection ID: MG 28
Abstract Served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1964 to 1971, and had been a State Senator since 1972. Papers chiefly relate to his service in the General Assembly, notably his service as Chairman of the State Crime Commission.
Dates: 1950-2000; Other: Date acquired: 04/06/1978
Collection ID: MG 24
Abstract Represented Norfolk in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1962 to 1979. Includes legislative correspondence, records, and reference material relating to his service in the Virginia House of Delegates.
Dates: 1950-1979, undated; Other: Date acquired: 12/08/1977