Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
- Topic: Businessmen--Virginia--Norfolk X
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century 3
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century 3
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Mayors--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Pharmacists--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Philanthropists--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Virginia--Politics and government--1865-1950 1 ∧ less
- American Red Cross 1
- Caplan, Paul Glasser 1
- Hill, Irvine B. 1
- Norfolk Chamber of Commerce 1
- Norfolk International Airport (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Norfolk Port and Industrial Authority 1
- Shafer, W. Bruce, Jr. 1
- Virginia Zoo (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Wood, Joseph Downing 1 ∧ less
Collection ID: MG 78
Abstract Norfolk pharmacist. Chaired the board of the Norfolk Port and Industrial Authority, which runs Norfolk International Terminals and the Norfolk International Airport, for thirteen years and was a board member from 1962 to 1987. Served on several political campaign committees, including those of Roy B. Martin and Stanley Walker. Was very active in civic affairs, including the Norfolk Junior Chamber of Commerce, Virginia Jaycees, United States Jaycees, Tidewater Chapter of the American Red Cross,...
Dates: circa 1890-2004, undated; Other: Date acquired: 06/10/2003
Collection ID: MG 100
Abstract Irvine B. Hill has been a prominent broadcasting executive, politician, and civic leader in Norfolk, Virginia for over 40 years. This collection is made up of newspaper clippings during Hill’s time as Norfolk mayor and city councilman, as well as photographs, correspondence and scrapbooks.
Dates: 1968-2009, undated; Other: Date acquired: 08/26/2008
Collection ID: MG 52
Abstract Long time Norfolk native. Made his fortune in real estate and spent his life promoting humanitarian and idealistic causes. Ran unsuccessfully for Norfolk City Council in 1928 and 1966 and lost a bid for the House of Representatives in 1944. Honorary member of the Veterans of Foreign Affairs in recognition for his successful push to have bonuses paid to World War I veterans. Author of 3 Books That Made the South And 1000 Millionaires and 10 Billionaires, ...
Dates: circa 1937-1982, undated; Other: Date acquired: 01/22/1982
Collection ID: MG 3
Abstract President of the Wood Towing Company (Tugboats). Served on the Norfolk City Council (1926-1930, 1934-1944) and as Mayor (1940-1944) during World War II. Collection contains business papers, mayoral files, correspondence and the papers of his service on the Elizabeth River Tunnel Commission.
Dates: 1917-1951, undated; Other: Date acquired: 03/01/1976