Carl Abbott Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of materials regarding the integration of public schools in Norfolk, Virginia and urban planning materials for southeastern Virginia cities collected by Carl Abbott, a history professor at Old Dominion University.
- 1958-1977, undated
- Other: Date acquired: 03/10/2012
- Abbott, Carl (1944-) (Person)
0.60 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
Carl Abbott was born December 3, 1944 in Knoxville Tennessee. Abbott studied at Swarthmore College where he received his B.A. in 1966 and furthered his studies at the University of Chicago, receiving a M.A. in 1967 and a Ph.D. in 1971. From 1972-1978, he taught history at Old Dominion University and currently teaches American history of urban development at the School of Urban Studies and Planning at Portland State University.
"Carl Abbott." http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Abbott
"The Urban West: Official Site of Professor Carl Abbott." http://theurbanwest.com/
Note written by Kathleen Smith
Language of Materials
Small collection focusing on materials used by Carl Abbott who taught history at Old Dominion University from 1972 to 1978.
The collection is organized into two series: Series I: Norfolk City Schools Integration; and Series II: Plans and Proposals for Southeastern Virginia.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Carl Abbott
The collection was processed and finding aid created by Justina Williams in November 2012.
- City Planning--Virginia--Isle of Wight County (Va.)
- City Planning--Virginia--Newport News
- City Planning--Virginia--Virginia Beach
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century
- Public schools--Virginia--Norfolk
- School integration--Massive resistance movement
- Segregation in education--Virginia--Norfolk
- A Guide to the Carl Abbott Papers
- Justina Williams, November 2012; Kathleen Smith, August 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.