Allan G. Donn Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains court documents and a research paper collected by attorney Allan G. Donn related to school desegregation in Prince Edward County, Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia and North Carolina. The court documents relate to Cocheyse J. Griffin v. County School Board of Prince Edward County and Swan v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg.
- Other: Date acquired: 06/01/2009
- Donn, Allan G. (1939-) (Person)
0.40 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
Allan Gerald Donn was born in 1939 in Norfolk to Milton Donn and Freda Fleder. He graduated from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Arts. In 1964, he received a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from Harvard University Law School and became engaged to Susan L. Berman who he later married. A year later Donn was admitted to the Virginia State Bar. In 1967, he received a Master of Laws (LLM) in Taxation from Georgetown Law Center. As of 2010, Donn is a member of Willcox and Savage, specializing in partnerships, limited liability companies, taxation and estate planning.
While a student at Harvard, Donn was present when the United States Supreme Court heard the school desegregation case, Cocheyse J. Griffin v. County School Board of Prince Edward County. In this pivotal case, the court ruled that closing public schools to avoid desegregation was unconstitutional and ordered that they be reopened. Later, as a member of Norfolk legal firm of Willcox, Savage, Lawrence, Dickson & Spindle, Donn represented the School Board of City of Norfolk in desegregation cases in the late 1960s and 1970s.
Note written by Sonia Yaco
Language of Materials
Contains court documents and a research paper related to school desegregation in Prince Edward County, Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia and North Carolina. The court documents relate to Cocheyse J. Griffin v. County School Board of Prince Edward County and Swan v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg.
The collection is organized chronologically.
Source of Acquisition
Allan G. Donn
Method of Acquisition
Accession #A2009-20 Gift as part of the Desegregation of Virginia Education (DOVE) project.
The finding aid was created by Sonia Yaco, Special Collections Librarian, in 2010.
- School integration--Law and legislation--United States--Cases
- Cocheyse J. Griffin v. County School Board of Prince Edward County
- School integration--Massive resistance movement
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century
- School integration--Virginia--Prince Edward County--History--20th century
- Swan v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education
- United States. Court of Appeals (4th Circuit)
- United States. Supreme Court
- Virginia. Supreme Court of Appeals
- A Guide to the Allan G. Donn Papers
- Sonia Yaco
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.