Skip to main content

Intercollegiate Athletics Records

 Collection
Collection ID: RG 2-8A

Scope and Contents

This collection includes media guides, programs, publicity, newsletters, tickets, and other material related to the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics at Old Dominion University. The bulk of the collection consists of media guides, programs, and score books for various athletic programs. Posters related to athletic programs can be found in the Old Dominion University Poster Collection (RG 30).

Dates

  • 1930-2019, undated
  • Majority of material found within 1975-2000

Creator

Extent

40.20 Linear Feet

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.

Biographical or Historical Information

Intercollegiate Athletics recruits and develops a diverse population of highly skilled student-athletes that compete at the NCAA Division I level. Their commitment is to enable student-athletes to reach their full potential academically, athletically, and as citizens. They enrich the campus experience and serve as a gateway to the University by enhancing its visibility and reputation. Historical Timeline: Staff Thomas L. Scott was appointed athletic director of the athletic department of the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary (which was later to become Old Dominion University) in July 1930. Joseph C. Chandler became athletic director of the Norfolk division in 1942.  Starting as a coach for basketball and baseball, he also taught physical education.  Swimming and track resumed operations in Norfolk following the end of the war.  Chandler concentrated on coaching swimming and track and swimming as an intercollegiate sport was re-instated in 1945. Arthur “Bud” Metheny was hired as the coach of the baseball and basketball programs in 1949.  Metheny was a former professional player and saw action with the Yankees between 1943 and 1946.  Under Metheny, the basketball program witnessed an improvement in its schedule and stayed competitive.  With the aid of some star players, Metheny improved the success of the baseball program as well.  Metheny became athletic director in 1963 and stopped coaching basketball in 1965.  He stopped coaching baseball in 1969 only to take the post again two years later.  He retired from coaching in 1980. Growth of the Athletic Department The Norfolk Division played mainly high school teams during the 1930s. In 1959, the Norfolk Division became an associate member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and gained eligibility to participate in N.C.A.A. sponsored post-season events. The athletics department of the old Norfolk division, re-named Old Dominion College in 1962, had success during the 1960s.  Also in 1962 O.D.C. became the 16th member of the Mason-Dixon Conference; a large step forward in gaining ground towards major athletic status. Baseball Baseball began in the early 1930s yet was dropped in 1940 due to lack of facilities, money and opponents. The baseball program saw irregular schedules during 1943 and 1944 and was suspended in 1945. Jack Callahan and Everett Tolson revived the program in 1946 and 1947. The biggest mover in terms of Norfolk division athletics in the 1950s, the baseball program was able to play against better teams as those teams in the north came south in the winter. Their first major opponent was against Dartmouth College in the spring of 1953. National recognition was gained during the 1960s for its high level of success, including winning N.C.A.A. regional championships played at Yankee Stadium. Basketball Basketball at the Norfolk division received its foundation during the 1930s. The basketball program weathered the time of war and former Norfolk division player Julius Rubin became the coach in 1946 and succeeded by Jack Callahan, his former teammate. During the 1950s the Norfolk division’s athletics progressed significantly, including basketball.  The regular venue for basketball was moved from the school’s gymnasium to the Norfolk Arena with the first game in the Norfolk Arena being played on January 4, 1960. The 1950s saw the basketball program step forward and gain better opponents with the last junior college dropped from the schedule in 1956. Football The first game was played on September 26, 1930 against Suffolk High School. During their 10 years the Braves won 62 games, lost 19, and tied 4. Lack of an audience and debt caused football operations to cease at the Norfolk division in 1941. The football team was returned to ODU in 2009. Swimming and Track Swimming and track started at the Norfolk division in the 1930s. Under Joseph C. Chandler the swimming team won conference titles in 1956 and 1957. Women's Athletics By 1931, the Norfolk Division had a women’s basketball team. They played their first game in March 1931 against William and Mary’s freshman team. The women’s athletics program began in 1936. Originally, the women’s athletics program was limited to field hockey and basketball on a competitive level, the rest being intramural athletics. Since 1975, the Lady Monarchs have proven themselves as a formidable team. In 1984-1985, the Lady Monarchs won their first NCAA championship, and their third national title with a victory over the University of Georgia. Women’s field hockey extends back to the early history of the Norfolk Division. From 1982 to 1984, the women’s field hockey teams won consecutive NCAA national championships in those years.

Note written by Mel Frizzell

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection includes guides, programs, publicity, newsletters, tickets, bumper stickers for men and women’s basketball, football, lacrosse, sailing, golf and other sports. Administrative correspondence is also included.

Arrangement Note

The collection is organized into five series: Series I: General ODU Athletics; Series II: Individual Sports; Series III: Publications; Series IV: Accession 2015-06; and Series V: Artifacts.

Source of Acquisition

Unknown provenance

Method of Acquisition

Various Transfers. Accession #2015-06 was transferred sometime in 2015.

Accruals and Additions

Future accruals expected.

Related Materials

Arthur "Bud" Metheny Papers (RG 2-8B1); Old Dominion University Poster Collection (RG 30).

Processing Information

Series IV was processed by Mel Frizzell, Special Collections Assistant, from 2015-2016.

Title
A Guide to the Intercollegiate Athletics Records
Author
Mel Frizell
Date
11/05/2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
3000 Perry Library
4427 Hampton Blvd.
Norfolk VA 23529 US
757-683-5350