Alice Rice Jaffe Papers
Scope and Contents
The material in this collection relates to people in Alice Jaffe's life, rather than to Alice Jaffe personally. These persons include: Louis I. Jaffe, her husband and editor of the Virginian-Pilot from 1919 to 1950; Colonel Henry Rice, her father; and Captain Samuel Davis, an ancestor and ship's captain. A part of the collection includes materials on the first two decades of growth of the Norfolk Division of William and Mary which later became Old Dominion College and then Old Dominion University.
- 1807-1950, undated
- Other: Majority of material found within 1919-1950
- Other: Date acquired: 06/01/1977
- Jaffe, Alice Rice (1888-1950) (Person)
0.80 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
Alice Rice Jaffe was an art teacher at Old Dominion College/Old Dominion University in the 1960s and 1970s. Jaffe received her A.B. from Vassar College. She was married to the late Louis I. Jaffe, editor of the Virginian Pilot from 1919 to 1950.
Note written by Special Collections Staff
Language of Materials
Includes assorted reports, newspaper articles and correspondence, etc. relating to Hampton Roads history and Old Dominion University's early history as Norfolk Division of William and Mary College. Contains material from Jaffe's family including her husband, journalist Louis I. Jaffe, her father, Colonel Henry Rice and ancestor, Captain Samuel Davis.
The collection is organized into five series: Series I: Norfolk Division of William and Mary; Series II: Col. Henry Rice; Series III: Captain Samuel Davis; Series IV: Louis I. Jaffe; Series V: Miscellaneous.
Source of Acquisition
Alice R. Jaffe
Method of Acquisition
Gift. Accession #A77-41
Accruals and Additions
Additional accessions made in March 1980 and May 1981.
- College of William and Mary. Norfolk Division
- Davis, Samuel
- Jaffe, Louis I.(Louis Isaac) (1888-1950)
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century
- Norfolk College of William and Mary
- Old Dominion University--Faculty
- Old Dominion University. Department of Art
- Rice, Henry
- Ship captains
- Webb, Louis
- A Guide to the Alice Rice Jaffe Papers
- Special Collections and University Archives Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.