Virginia. General Assembly
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
Peter Kostas Babalas Papers
Represented the 5th District in the Virginia State Senate from 1967-1987. Collection primarily relates to his service in the State Senate from 1972-1979.
Benjamin A. Banks Papers
Lawyer and prominent member of the Norfolk Jewish community. Served on the Norfolk Board of Aldermen (1908-1911) and in the Virginia House of Delegates (1911-1913). Active in local, state and national politics. Includes personal and political correspondence, scrapbooks, letters to the editor, and photographs.
Edythe C. Harrison Papers
Member of the Virginia House of Delegates (1979-1982), founder and president of the Virginia Opera Association, and unsuccessful candidate for United States Senator in 1984 against incumbent Republican, Senator John Warner. The first woman in Virginia nominated by the Democratic Party for statewide office. Collection primarily relates to her activities in politics and the 1984 Senatorial campaign.
Henry E. Howell, Jr. Papers
Dennis L. McCurdy Papers
Dennis McCurdy was a radio news broadcaster for WPMH News and Public Affairs. Contains reel to reel audiotapes of interviews, speeches, and events regarding politics.
Thomas R. McNamara Papers
Served in the Virginia General Assembly as a member of the House of Delegates (1968-1971) and the Senate (1972-1976). Consists of records of his service in the General Assembly, 1968-1976, including publications of state agencies and correspondence as member of the State Water Control Board.
Beverly Randolph Middleton Papers
Engineer and Virginia State Delegate. Served three terms in the Virginia House of Delegates. Most of the collection pertains to his political career. Also included is material related to his days as a student athlete at Norview High School and VPI.
Thomas Joseph Reilly Papers
Political correspondent for the Norfolk Ledger-Star and Norfolk Ledger-Dispatch for 26 years. Primarily newspaper columns from the Ledger-Star and background material used to research articles.
Colonel James W. Roberts Papers
President and chairman of Henry B. Gilprin, a wholesale drug firm. Served in the General Assembly from 1948-1968, holding a powerful position on the Appropriations Committee. Served on the Norfolk Planning Commission. The bulk of the collection contains legislative correspondence from 1963-1964.
A.E.S. Stephens Papers
Served in both the House of Delegates (1929-1941) and the State Senate (1941-1952), and as Lieutenant Governor (1952-1961). Ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic nomination for Governor in 1961 against Albertis Harrison. Centers around this unsuccessful campaign and contains papers focusing on the issue of Massive Resistance to integration, dating to the early 1950s.
Virginia House of Delegates Videotape Collection
A collection containing 78 ¾ inch videotapes dating from January 13 to March 13, 1982, of the House of Delegates in session.
Stanley Clay Walker Papers
Served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1964 to 1971, and had been a State Senator since 1972. Papers chiefly relate to his service in the General Assembly, notably his service as Chairman of the State Crime Commission.
J. Warren White, Jr. Papers
Represented Norfolk in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1962 to 1979. Includes legislative correspondence, records, and reference material relating to his service in the Virginia House of Delegates.
- Virginia--Politics and government 12
- Legislators--Virginia--Hampton Roads 5
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century 4
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- Hampton Roads (Va.)--History--20th century 3
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- Virginia--Politics and government--1865-1950 3
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Equal rights amendments--United States 2
- School integration--Massive resistance movement 2
- Busing for school integration--Virginia 1
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Virginia Beach 1
- Democratic Party (Va.) 1
- Governors--Election--History--20th century 1
- Journalists--United States 1
- Judges--Virginia 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953--Veterans 1
- Ledger-star 1
- Norview High School (Norfolk, Va.)--Sports 1
- Publishers and publishing 1
- United States--Politics and government--20th century 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute--Sports 1
- Virginia--Lieutenant-governors 1
- Women legislators--Virginia 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans 1 ∧ less