Dennis L. McCurdy Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains reel-to-reel audiotapes of interviews, speeches, and events regarding politics. Included are speeches and interviews of Henry Howell, Andrew Pickens Miller, G. Conoly Phillips, Pat Robertson, Chuck Robb, and Gerald R. Ford. Two tapes of note are a press conference of United States Senator S.I. Hayakawa from California in which he discusses the energy crisis of the late 1970s and the SALT Treaty, and a press conference of Ronald Reagan in Roanoke, Virginia during his campaign for the Presidency in 1979.
- 1977-1979, undated
- Other: Date acquired: 11/12/1979
- McCurdy, Dennis L. (Person)
0.40 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
Dennis McCurdy attended the University of North Carolina, Greensboro where he received his Bachelor of Science from Joseph M. Bryan School of Business. He is either from or lived in Reidsville, NC.
McCurdy was an adjunct instructor at Tidewater Community College-Chesapeake, around 2000. He was a social studies teacher in Norfolk for 18 years. He first got into radio as president of the Education Association when he approached WPMH about getting a program on the air where he stayed for four years. Later he hosted the "Saturday Night Dance Party" on WGH. He joined WFOS in 1983, taking over as program director the same year. He was also a radio instructor for WFOS AM/Chesapeake Public Schools.
WFOS first aired in 1955 in the Oscar F. Smith High School, and covers national news via the Mutual Broadcasting System, city government, weather, and high school sports. The station stays on air 365 days a year from 6am to midnight. Notes: WPMH News is now a Christian music station (1010 AM, Portsmouth).
Note written by Mel Frizzell
Language of Materials
Dennis McCurdy was a radio news broadcaster for WPMH News and Public Affairs. Contains reel to reel audiotapes of interviews, speeches, and events regarding politics.
Source of Acquisition
Dennis L. McCurdy
Method of Acquisition
Gift. Accession #A79-56
- Carter, Jimmy (1924-)
- Cooke, John Warren (1915-)
- Dalton, John N.
- Ford, Gerald R. (1913-2006)
- Hayakawa, S. I. (Samuel Ichiyé) (1906-1992)
- Howell, Henry E. (Henry Evans) (1920-1997)
- Miller, Andrew P. (Andrew Pickens) (1932-)
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous) (1913-1994)
- Phillips, George Conoly (1931-2020)
- Reagan, Ronald (1911-2004)
- Robb, Charles S. (1913-2001)
- Robertson, Pat (1930-)
- United States--Politics and government--20th century
- Virginia--Politics and government
- Virginia. General Assembly
- Whitehurst, G. William (1925-)
- A Guide to the Dennis L. McCurdy Papers
- Mel Frizzell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.