Board of Visitors Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records related to the College of William and Mary Board of Visitors in its supervision of the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary from 1920 until July 1962. Additionally, the collection contains records related to the Board of Visitors of Old Dominion College and Old Dominion University from July 1962 to the present day. Included in the collection are agendas and minutes, committee reports, minutes from the Norfolk Division's Director’s Advisory Board, and general correspondence either received or generated by the board. More information about the Board of Visitors can be found on the Old Dominion Univeristy Website at [url=https://www.odu.edu/content/odu/about/bov.html]https://www.odu.edu/content/odu/about/bov.html[/url].
- circa 1920-2010
- Other: Date acquired: 09/23/1974
- Old Dominion University. Board of Visitors (Organization)
46.00 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Old Dominion Board of Visitors is the university’s governing body, responsible for overseeing the university’s operations, establishing policy and procedure as well as fiduciary control of the university’s appropriations and expenditures. In 1919, the College of William and Mary began offering extension courses in the Norfolk area to increase educational opportunities for adults who lived outside the commonwealth’s large university centers. The governing body responsible for the supervision and management of instruction conducted in Norfolk during this period was the William and Mary Board of Visitors and William and Mary President J.A.C. Chandler. As demand for classes steadily increased in the Norfolk area throughout the 1920s, an extension campus was established in 1930 known as the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary. The Norfolk Division was under administrative jurisdiction of the William and Mary Board of Visitors, but received assistance from a local advisory committee composed of Norfolk business and civic leaders who advised on matters related to infrastructure development and capital improvement. In 1947, Norfolk Division director Lewis Webb expanded the role of the advisory committee by encouraging liaison with the local community to understand how the school could meet the educational needs of the region. William and Mary’s Board of Visitors relinquished administrative control of the school on July 2, 1962, when the Norfolk Division became independent of the parent school and the first meeting of the Board of Visitors of what was soon to be named Old Dominion College took place. The current Board of Visitors at Old Dominion University is a 17 member panel, appointed to a four year term by the Governor, responsible for executing all duties related to the university as outlined in the Code of Virginia. The board may delegate its authority to the University President for matters concerning day to day operations, but retains total authority and responsibility for executing its duties according to Virginia law.
Note written by Special Collections Staff
Language of Materials
The records of the Old Dominion University Board of Visitors contains office files of the board, including correspondence, resolutions, committee records, proceedings, and agendas.
The collection is organized into three series: Series I: Agendas and Proceedings; Series II: Committees; and Series III: General Correspondence and Miscellaneous.
Source of Acquisition
Office of the Executive Vice President and the Secretary of the Board
Method of Acquisition
Transfer. Accession #A74-8. Additions have been transferred to Special Collections and University Archives from 1975 to 2010.
Accruals and Additions
Additional accessions made from 1975 to 2010. Future accruals expected.
- A Guide to the Board of Visitors Records
- Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.