Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
- People/Organizations: Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) X
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century 3
- School integration--Massive resistance movement 3
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 3
- Segregation in education--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century 2
- Busing for school integration--United States 1
- Busing for school integration--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Gray Commission (Va.) 1
- Physicians--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Race relations--History--20th century 1
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- School integration--Law and legislation--United States--Cases 1
- School integration--United States 1 ∧ less
- Norfolk Committee for Public Schools (Va.) 1
- Schweitzer, Paul T. (1903-1976) 1
- Stolee, Michael J. (1930-2007) 1
- University of Miami. School of Education. Florida School Desegregation Center 1
- White, Forest R. (1947-) 1
- White, Forrest P. (1920-1995) 1 ∧ less
Norfolk businessman and member of the Norfolk School Board (1952-1960) and City Council (1960-1968) during the Massive Resistance crisis. Includes correspondence, legal documents, newspapers clippings, scrapbooks and photographs that primarily document his activities during Norfolk’s desegregation crisis.
The collection contains material related to Stolee’s work as an expert witness in 68 school desegregation cases in the US including Norfolk. Stolle helped to design Norfolk 1971 school busing plan.The material includes the court proceedings, testimony, newspaper clippings, photographs, invoices and correspondence as well as his narrative of some of the cases.
Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.