Old Dominion University Faculty and Staff Directories
Scope and Contents
This collection contains faculty and staff directories for the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary, Old Dominion College, Old Dominion University, as well as the Continuing Education Divisions for both Old Dominion College and Old Dominion University. The faculty/staff directory originally served as a campus locator, telephone directory and social roster listing faculty and staff members of the Norfolk Division along with some of their personal data such as local address and name of spouse. Faculty/Staff directories were published annually between 1948 and 2008. In 1988 a supplemental directory listing newly hired faculty members was introduced. Faculty/staff directories currently are accessible through the university’s website.
- Old Dominion University. Human Resources (Organization)
2.40 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
Old Dominion University was founded in September 1930 as an extension campus of the College of William and Mary in the Tidewater region of Virginia. Established as a two year junior college known as the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary, the school’s mission was to provide educational opportunities to the people of Hampton Roads commensurate with those available near the commonwealth’s large university centers. The “Division” as it was known, opened its doors in the empty buildings of the old Larchmont Elementary School, offering a two year course of study allowing students the opportunity to earn transferable credit through the sophomore year to any four year college throughout the United States. In 1931, courses in basic engineering and other technical studies were offered at the Norfolk Division through collective partnership with Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI), taught by instructors directly provided by VPI. Upon the completion of studies at the Division, many students seeking baccalaureate degrees continued their academic pursuits at either the Williamsburg campus of William and Mary or VPI in Blacksburg, though it was not uncommon for Norfolk Division students to attend other universities throughout the country as well.
The persistent popularity of instruction offered by the Division resulted in expanded curricula in 1939 that provided vocational or technical training for careers not requiring baccalaureate degrees. At the onset of World War II, the Norfolk Division focused vocational and technical training through what was known as the War Training Program, designed to support the technical demands of the armed forces in the war effort. Post war through the 1950s the Division continued to grow offering increased curricula in the fields of music, secretarial science, merchandising, fine arts, and a nurses’ training program through affiliation with Norfolk General Hospital. In 1954, William and Mary approved the Norfolk Division to offer several academic programs leading to baccalaureate degrees and two years later the Division awarded its first four year degrees to fifteen eligible students. In 1961 the Division earned accreditation as a four year school and in August 1962, became independent of William and Mary and was established by the Virginia General Assembly as Old Dominion College. In 1969, Old Dominion College became present day Old Dominion University.
The original faculty at the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary in 1930 included thirteen instructors, six full time along with an additional seven who regularly commuted from the Williamsburg campus. Faculty numbers increased in subsequent years in direct proportion to increased course offerings and the school’s continued expansion. Early faculty members were selected not only for their academic accomplishments and subject matter expertise, but also their ability to impart upon the student body the desire to seek the “lifelong joy and satisfaction associated with continued learning.” The current faculty has grown from the Norfolk Division’s original thirteen to over 700 full and 500 part time faculty members. Old Dominion University professors are masters in their fields, recognized by peers, organizations, businesses, and industries across the nation.
Note written by Sonia Yaco
Language of Materials
This collection contains faculty and staff directories for the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary, Old Dominion College, Old Dominion University, as well as the Continuing Education Divisions for both Old Dominion College and Old Dominion University.
This collection is arranged in chronological order.
Source of Acquisition
Office of Human Resources
Method of Acquisition
The finding aid was created by Sonia Yaco, Special Collections Librarian, in 2011.
- College of William and Mary. Norfolk Division
- College publications--Virginia--Norfolk
- Norfolk College of William and Mary
- Old Dominion College
- Old Dominion University
- Old Dominion University--Directories
- Old Dominion University--Faculty
- Old Dominion University--History
- Old Dominion University--Staff
- A Guide to the Old Dominion University Faculty and Staff Directories
- Sonia Yaco; Mel Frizzell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.