Old Dominion University Faculty Handbooks
Scope and Contents
The faculty handbook serves as a reference guide to faculty members of the policies, procedures, and regulations that directly affect the academic year. Early faculty handbooks also acquainted new and prospective faculty members not only with the school’s philosophy and organization, but also with pertinent information about the Norfolk area to aid their transition into the local community. Since the 1940s, a faculty handbook was produced annually through 1986, then every two years from 1986 to the early 2000s. Since then, the handbook is updated periodically as needed. A printed version was produced until 1998 and again from 2001 to 2003. From 1999 to 2001, and since 2004, the handbook is only available electronically at https://ww1.odu.edu/humanresources/employee/handbooks/faculty.
- Old Dominion University. Human Resources (Organization)
1.20 Linear Feet
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.
Biographical or Historical Information
Old Dominion University was founded in September 1930 as an extension campus of the College of William and Mary in the Tidewater region of Virginia. Established as a two year junior college known as the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary, the school’s mission was to provide educational opportunities to the people of Hampton Roads commensurate with those available near the commonwealth’s large university centers. The “Division” as it was known, opened its doors in the empty buildings of the old Larchmont Elementary School, offering a two year course of study allowing students the opportunity to earn transferable credit through the sophomore year to any four year college throughout the United States. In 1931, courses in basic engineering and other technical studies were offered at the Norfolk Division through collective partnership with Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI), taught by instructors directly provided by VPI. Upon the completion of studies at the Division, many students seeking baccalaureate degrees continued their academic pursuits at either the Williamsburg campus of William and Mary or VPI in Blacksburg, though it was not uncommon for Norfolk Division students to attend other universities throughout the country as well.
The persistent popularity of instruction offered by the Division resulted in expanded curricula in 1939 that provided vocational or technical training for careers not requiring baccalaureate degrees. At the onset of World War II, the Norfolk Division focused vocational and technical training through what was known as the War Training Program, designed to support the technical demands of the armed forces in the war effort. Post war through the 1950s the Division continued to grow offering increased curricula in the fields of music, secretarial science, merchandising, fine arts, and a nurses’ training program through affiliation with Norfolk General Hospital. In 1954, William and Mary approved the Norfolk Division to offer several academic programs leading to baccalaureate degrees and two years later the Division awarded its first four year degrees to fifteen eligible students. In 1961 the Division earned accreditation as a four year school and in August 1962, became independent of William and Mary and was established by the Virginia General Assembly as Old Dominion College. In 1969, Old Dominion College became present day Old Dominion University.
Note written by Sonia Yaco
Language of Materials
The Old Dominion University Faculty Handbooks collection contains faculty handbooks for the Norfolk Division of the College of William and Mary, Old Dominion College, Old Dominion University, as well as the Continuing Education Divisions for both Old Dominion College and Old Dominion University from 1947 to 2003.
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
The collection was processed and finding aid created by Sonia Yaco, Special Collections Librarian, in 2011.
- A Guide to the Old Dominion University Faculty Handbooks
- Sonia Yaco; Mel Frizzell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.