Skip to main content

Mason C. Andrews Papers

 Collection
Collection ID: MG 62

Scope and Contents

The collection includes correspondence, photographs, medical articles, newspaper clippings, architectural drawings, reports, and other material maintained by Mason C. Andrews, an OB/GYN doctor and Norfolk City Council member. The bulk of the material relates to the development of the Norfolk Medical Center and the Eastern Virginia Medical School, as well as Andrews' tenure on the Norfolk City Council from 1974 to 1997.

Dates

  • circa 1777-2010, undated
  • Other: Date acquired: 10/14/1998
  • Majority of material found within 1950-1990

Creator

Extent

61.3 Linear Feet

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from Special Collections and University Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not Old Dominion University Libraries.

Biographical or Historical Information

Mason C. Andrews was born in Norfolk, Virginia in 1919. He graduated from Maury High School, and later received his Bachelor's degree in Chemistry from Princeton and his M.D. from John's Hopkins University. He specialized in obstetrics and gynecology and completed his residency training at Johns Hopkins as well. Andrews then began a successful OB/GYN private practice in Norfolk in 1950. Additionally, Dr. Andrews taught Obstetrics and Gynecology at Johns Hopkins University and later at Eastern Virginia Medical School. Andrews' community service began during the 1950's with service on the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce and the Health Welfare and Recreation Planning Council. While serving as president of the Norfolk County Medical Society, Andrews appointed a bipartisan committee to study the need for a medical school in the area. The study was able to convince the Virginia General Assembly of the need for a new medical school. In 1964 the Eastern Virginia Medical Center authority was formed with the charge of developing the new medical school. Andrews served as the chairman of the authority from 1964-1970. Under his leadership a medical center complex was built in an area that has once been slums. The medical complex now consists of Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk General Hospital, Medical Tower, Public Health Department, Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters and Tidewater Rehabilitation Institute. In addition, as chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at EVMS Andrews was instrumental in bringing the team of Drs. Howard and Georgeanna Jones to Norfolk. The Drs. Jones specialized in treating infertility problems. In 1981 they brought notoriety to Norfolk with the role they played in the first successful birth, in the United States, of a baby conceived by in-vitro fertilization. With the success of the in-vitro fertilization program the Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine was founded in 1983. Andrews also served on the Norfolk City Council from 1974 to 2000 and as the city's mayor from 1992 to 1994. During his tenure on the council he was instrumental in the redevelopment of the downtown waterfront. Andrews introduced the developer of Baltimore's Inner Harbor, James Rouse, to Norfolk. Rouse designed the Waterside Festival Marketplace for the Norfolk waterfront. Other downtown projects promoted by Andrews included Nauticus, the Norfolk campus of Tidewater Community College, and the MacArthur Center Mall. Mason Andrews declined to run for re-election to city council in 2000. Andrews passed away on October 13, 2006.

Note written by Janice Halecki

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Physician, former city council member and mayor of Norfolk. Served on Norfolk city council from 1974 to 2000 and as the city’s mayor from 1992-1994. Was instrumental in the development of the Eastern Virginia Medical School complex and the redevelopment of downtown Norfolk. The collection includes personal, business, and political papers.

Arrangement Note

This collection is broken down into groups based on when they were given to Special Collections and University Archives: Record Group 1: First Accession; and Record Group 2: Second Accession. Each record group is further organized into series within each record group.

Source of Acquisition

Dr. Mason C. Andrews

Method of Acquisition

Gift. Accession #A98-10

Accruals and Additions

Second accession was donated in November 2011
Title
A Guide to the Mason C. Andrews Papers
Author
Janice Halecki
Date
08/02/2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Revision Statements

  • 07/02/2021: The finding aid and inventory was revised by Kathleen Smith, Special Collections Metadata Specialist, from 2019 to 2021.

Repository Details

Part of the Community Collections Repository

Contact:
3023 Perry Library
4427 Hampton Blvd.
Norfolk VA 23529 US
757-683-5350