Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
- Norfolk (Va.)--Politics and government--20th century 7
- School integration--Massive resistance movement 7
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--20th century 6
- School integration--Virginia--Norfolk--History--20th century 6
- Segregation in education--Virginia--Norfolk 6
- African Americans--Education--Virginia--Norfolk 4
- Race relations--History--20th century 3
- School closings--Virginia--Norfolk 3
- African Americans--Civil rights 2
- African Americans--Segregation 2
- Busing for school integration--Virginia--Norfolk 2
- Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka 1
- Busing for school integration--United States 1
- City council members--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Civic leaders--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Discrimination against African Americans 1
- Gray Commission (Va.) 1
- Lawyers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Lost class of '59 1
- Physicians--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- School integration--Law and legislation--United States--Cases 1
- School integration--United States 1
- Teachers--Virginia--Norfolk 1
- Virginia--Politics and government 1 ∧ less
- Norfolk School Board (Norfolk, Va.) 4
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- Boswell, Archie L. 1
- CBS Television Network 1
- Mason, Vivian Carter (1900-1982) 1
- Norfolk Bicentennial Commission 1
- Norfolk Committee for Public Schools (Va.) 1
- Norfolk Public Schools (Norfolk, Va.) 1
- Powell, Adam Clayton (1908-1972) 1
- Schweitzer, Paul T. (1903-1976) 1
- Stolee, Michael J. (1930-2007) 1
- University of Miami. School of Education. Florida School Desegregation Center 1
- White, Forest R. (1947-) 1
- White, Forrest P. (1920-1995) 1
- White, Margaret E. (1908-1995) 1
- Women's Council for Interracial Cooperation (Norfolk, Va.) 1 ∧ less
Archie L. Boswell Papers
Norfolk attorney. Represented the plaintiffs in the two cases initiated to reopen the Norfolk public schools closed to avoid integration, James v. Duckworth and James v. Almond. Includes correspondence, legal materials, notes, and background material.
Vivian Carter Mason Interviews
Founding member of the Women’s Council for Interracial Cooperation and an active participant in the Civil Rights movement. Contains transcripts and audiotapes of an interview that documents her life and the Civil Rights movement in Norfolk.
Norfolk Public Schools Desegregation Collection
Paul T. Schweitzer Papers
Norfolk businessman and member of the Norfolk School Board (1952-1960) and City Council (1960-1968) during the Massive Resistance crisis. Includes correspondence, legal documents, newspapers clippings, scrapbooks and photographs that primarily document his activities during Norfolk’s desegregation crisis.
Michael J. Stolee Papers
The collection contains material related to Stolee’s work as an expert witness in 68 school desegregation cases in the US including Norfolk. Stolle helped to design Norfolk 1971 school busing plan.The material includes the court proceedings, testimony, newspaper clippings, photographs, invoices and correspondence as well as his narrative of some of the cases.
Forrest P. White Papers
Pediatrician in Norfolk. Played central role in formation of Norfolk Committee for Public Schools, which opposed the closing of the city’s public schools during the desegregation crisis. Bulk of the material concerns the desegregation of Norfolk’s public schools.
Forrest R. "Hap" White Papers
Former Budget Director for the Norfolk Public Schools. Fourteen untranscribed cassette tapes containing interviews White conducted with politicians, journalists, police and other city officials from 1975-1991 as background for his ODU doctoral dissertation, School Desegregation and Urban Renewal and the 1992 book Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959.
Margaret White Papers
Margaret White taught in the Norfolk school system off and on since 1930. Involved in struggle to reopen the public schools during the integration crisis. CBS television documentary, "The Lost Class of ’59" recorded her efforts. Correspondence and printed material, the bulk of which dates from 1959-1964, chiefly relates to the CBS documentary. Member of the Norfolk Committee for Public Schools.